New York Governor Kathy Hochul introduced a legislative proposal to enhance security throughout the limousine business.
The invoice contains provisions requiring that stretch limousines be geared up with enhanced security options and prohibiting the operation of a stretch limousine that’s greater than 10 years outdated or has milage exceeding 350,000 miles.
Hochul’s proposed Stretch Limousine Passenger Security Act relies on reforms really useful by a limousine security job drive that require statutory modifications.
The Passenger Security Activity Drive was initially established in 2020 as a response to limousine crashes in Cutchogue in 2015 and Schoharie in 2018. Within the fall of 2022, the duty drive launched its report.
Hochul mentioned the Departments of Transportation and Motor Automobiles have made progress administratively, together with overhauling the automobile registration and alter of possession course of, rising the variety of critiques of limousines, rising the extent of coordination between states, and rising enforcement actions towards those that fraudulently register and function limousines.
The Stretch Limousine Passenger Security Act addresses the legislative suggestions of the duty drive together with:
- Requiring a minimal $10,000 advantageous for working a suspended stretch limousine and authorizing the Division of Transportation to collaborate with regulation enforcement to grab license plates of offenders driving passenger automobiles topic to their jurisdiction.
- Requiring that stretch limousines to be geared up with enhanced security options together with window break instruments, fireplace extinguishers, improved emergency egress, and roll-over safety.
- Prohibiting the operation of a stretch limousine that’s over 10 years outdated or has milage exceeding 350,000 miles, whichever happens first.
- Enhancing knowledge availability on limousine operators.
- Mandating that every one stretch limousine passengers be given a pre-trip security briefing.
In Could, a limousine service supervisor was convicted of manslaughter in a 2018 crash in Schoharie, a village west of Albany. Seventeen passengers, the motive force and two bystanders had been killed. State Inspector Basic Lucy Lang launched a report echoing federal regulators who concluded in 2020 that the state regulators fell short in their oversight of the limousine.
In 2015, 4 girls had been killed and 4 others critically injured in a limousine crash in Lengthy Island wine nation.
Was this text invaluable?
Listed below are extra articles you could get pleasure from.
Fascinated by Industrial Auto?
Get automated alerts for this matter.